Through service, I have built relationships that enable me to effectively integrate my research and teaching. My service to the College has included advising undergraduate and graduate students, advising two student organizations (Women of IST and the Diversity Network), and serving on ad hoc committees. I am also a founding member of the Center for the Information Society, and the recipient of the 2007 College of IST Diversity and Equity Award.
At the University level, my service is primarily in the area of diversity, including the Commission for Racial and Ethnic Diversity, the Northeastern Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (an NSF-sponsored program for recruiting and retaining under-represented graduate students in math, engineering, science, and technology-related disciplines), the KPMG Future Diversity Leaders Program (a program for under-represented undergraduate students in business-related disciplines), and the Sloan Faculty Mentor program (a program sponsored by the Sloan Foundation to support under-represented graduate students in science and engineering disciplines).
I have contributed to my profession by serving as a guest co-editor for 2 special issues on critical information systems research – Information Technology and People (a scholarly publication of Emerald Insight), and Social Science Computer Review (an interdisciplinary scholarly publication of Sage Publications). I serve on the editorial board for 3 new peer reviewed journals – the African Journal on Information Systems, Sociology Compass, and the International Journal on Technology and Human Interaction. In addition, I co-chaired tracks at leading conferences, including the 2006 International Conference on Information Systems (the premiere conference in information systems) and 2010 Americas Conference on Information Systems.
Service to Profession
- Associate Editor and Editorial Advisory Board. Information Technology and People
- International Editorial Review Board. International Journal of Technology and Human Interaction
- Editorial Advisory Board. New Technology, Work and Employment
- Faculty Mentor. iSchool Inclusion Institute, School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, 2014-2015
- Diversity Committee. School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh 2015-2017
- Board of Visitors. School of Information Sciences, University of Pittsburgh, 2014-2017
- Reviewer for leading journals and conferences in the fields of information systems, information sciences, and communications
- Reviewer for the National Science Foundation and the Qatar National Research Fund
Service to University
- Chair. IST Faculty Council, College of Information Sciences and Technology 2018-2020.
- Chair. Inclusion and Diversity Action Work Group (IDAC), College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2018.
- Chair. IST Lecturer Search Committee, College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2015-2016.
- Chair. IST Awards Committee, College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2014-2016.
- Member. IST Graduate Advising Committee, College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2009-2013.
- Chair. Faculty Search Committee, College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2012-2014.
- Faculty Council. Representative for the Social Policy, Economics & Informatics Scholarly Interest Group, College of Information Sciences and Technology, 2011-2012.
- Faculty Mentor. FastStart, Pennsylvania State University 2009-2011.
- Member. Africa Global Engagement Nodes (GEN), Pennsylvania State University, 2009.
- Member. IST Diversity Committee, College of Information Sciences and Technology 2009-2013.